In Recovery

Hello all! Sorry I’ve been MIA lately. I have been trying to get together an interview to tide you over in my absence, but it’s taken longer than anticipated, so here I am!

Yesterday I had my second laparoscopy, and I was pretty anxious about it. I have little memories from my first one, but what I did remember was pain. Lots of pain. Crying, not being able to do anything alone, I even needed help walking to the bathroom. So the night that I realized my body was saying it was time for another surgery, I cried. A lot. I was lying in bed, and just started sobbing, which woke up my very confused and worried husband. I told him there’s just no way I could do all that again.

Luckily, God smiled on me in the weeks leading up to my surgery. I was having very different endo symptoms than last time. In addition to abdominal pain, which had been the main symptom before, I was now having a lot of digestive issues, and I was on my period for an entire month. This made me extremely weak and dehydrated, and I lost a ton of weight. This led to me making a lifestyle change – I started drinking lots of water. Probably still not enough, but it made a big difference. I was also advised to begin taking prenatal vitamins for the iron to keep from becoming anemic. These natural, easy life changes made all the difference for me.

Water and vitamins are awesome, but presents don’t hurt either! Me and my light up Mickey Mouse waiting to go into prep.

I arrived at the hospital and had to wait a long time, which gave me a chance to poke around and refresh my memory on how this was all going to go. When they took me in, we found out I was sporting a fever and a higher than usual heartbeat. After a lot of concerned doctor-talk between my anesthesiologist and my surgeon, they decided the source of the fever may be in my abdomen, so they were going to go ahead with the procedure. They did warn me that if they found anything like an infection or injury, I may need to stay in the hospital over night.

Now, last time I had this procedure, I was given meds in the first room where they get the IV in, so my memory blacks out before we reached the operating room. This time, Hubby was allowed to come into prep with me and hold my hand while I got my IV put in. Then hubby had to go, and I was rolled down to the operating room. Hubby had told me the reason they knock me out before I got to the operating room was because it was probably distressing, a scary room made all of metal. But I was pleasantly surprised to find a blue and white room with beige cabinets. The only scary thing was the flying saucer lights above me.

The last time I had this surgery, I had some kind of panic attack about the fact that I was going to have to climb up on the operating table myself. I had gotten teary and asked if I had to do it, and my surgeon said yes and that it would be fine. Of course, I have no memory from that. This time, I wasn’t so sure what I had been afraid of, and I did it like a good brave girl. They laid my arm out on this foam thing, and then my memory stops.

My anesthesiologist gave me some nausea meds and allergy meds to help me avoid some of the unpleasantness that followed my first surgery. I had thrown up and been extremely nauseous for hours, which was part of the reason I had to stay in the hospital almost all day last time. And I had a little allergic reaction to the pain meds, which caused some itching and kept me from sleeping very well. This time, when I got out of surgery, I felt uncomfortable but not nauseous. I was starving and wanted to get up and go, but the surgery meds were keeping my eyes closed and my body immobile. I slept for about an hour, then got up, ate, peed, walked around all by myself, and was able to go home pretty quickly. When I got home, I slept all day, and woke up for a real dinner that I kept down. I even worked on math homework and mended a pair of shorts for my husband. I was doing freakishly well. Last time, I spent the day in pain, crying and crying and crying. These results are pretty amazing, and I’m convinced it was the hydration and vitamins that made all the difference.

Now I of course don’t remember much about the outcome of the surgery. They told me, but I can’t remember, and have only gathered bits and pieces from my family. But I had managed to give myself a hernia, and I think that may be what caused the fever? I don’t know. I do know they didn’t fix it, and the reason was that the “fixing” often leaves you with equal or greater pain than before. I don’t know much about the situation, but I guess everything’s fine?

I also don’t have stitches this time, which makes me REALLY happy. I have liquid skin fusion, so no stitch removal. Last time, getting them removed was AWFUL, and I’m so glad I get to skip that part now.

What happens next? We’re going to talk about hormone treatments, and see if we need to try something new. I have come to think of endometriosis as sort of a Davy Jones situation. I spend a lot of time out at sea, fighting and hurting, but when I have surgery, it’s like my short little trip back to land to be with the people I love and really enjoy a normal life.

(thanks for the image!)

So, I’m doing well, I’m sorry that it’s taken so long for me to update, and I’m glad to be on the road to recovery! My mom and husband have been gushing about how much better I’m doing than last time, and how great it is to see me sitting up, talking, and smiling. I feel so great, I mean it sucks how tender my scars are, and I HATE the air bubbles in my chest and shoulders, but the pain meds are a Godsend and I’m in high spirits.

Thanks for all the continuing support. Vitamins and water are great, but I know having this support base has made a huge difference as well.

Love you guys!

3 thoughts on “In Recovery

  1. Glad to hear you have a smiling face. Wish I could see it too. Closing my eyes and picturing it. Sending hugs for the not so smiling times. Time on land with the humans is great. Live it up! (As much as recovery will allow :-o).

    1. I do have a big smiling face. Vicodin helps, haha. But I can def use the hugs – recovery has been a rollercoaster for sure. Sending hugs and smiles to you, and I hope you’re having a lot of fun with your family like I did. 😀

Leave a Reply to Tosha of Bottled Time Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s