Where the Heck I’ve Been

Hey everyone. This post is a little off-topic, but I felt I owed you all an explanation for why I haven’t posted in so long. I felt I should tell you where the heck I’ve been!

Doesn’t it suck to get sick when you’re already sick?

Seriously, if you have a chronic illness, it’s completely unfair to ever have any other ailment.

It all started exactly one week ago on Wednesday night. After dinner, I had this really sudden, really awful toothache. Luckily, since I have a chronic pain condition, I was well-equipped to handle the situation and took some hydrocodone. As you saw in my last blog post, it didn’t turn out so well. I broke into a rash, suddenly allergic, blah blah blah.

The next night, the tooth hurt again, only about a gazillion times worse. I emergency-called my dentist and he prescribed a different pain medicine and a z-pack. He said I should feel better in about 24 hours. Well, that did absolutely nothing except make me throw up all night. So I stayed home that day too.

Over the weekend, the pain medicine and z-pack continued to do nothing. I wasn’t throwing up anymore though…mostly because I wasn’t eating anything. I did manage to get out of the house, and we went to dinner with some friends. I enjoyed the company, but I still didn’t want to eat anything, and the pain medicine was making me feel all stiff and agitated. After that, I stayed at home.

On Monday, I called the dentist again and told him nothing’s working and I’m still hurting, and NOW my face was swelling up! I looked like one of the naked aliens from the Futurama movie.

Ugh, my sprunger is killing me.

(photo courtesy of the Futurama wiki.)

I expected him to ask me to come in on Tuesday (Valentines), but he didn’t. He sent over a different kind of antibiotic. One that’s HUGE, electric turquoise, and I have to take three times a day. Surprisingly, though, it didn’t make me throw up. He said this time I should feel better in 24 hours…for real.

I can’t rag on this medicine too much because it sort of worked, kinda, in a sense. It enabled the pain killers to actually work a little! Now when I took them, instead of nothing happening, the pain went down to a somewhat bearable level.

So Valentines Day rolled around, and when I woke up in the morning, I wasn’t magically better. This was pretty disappointing, since Valentines Day is one of my very favorite holidays. I hadn’t had time to get my husband anything, since I’d been sick for so long. I felt awful, because he’d been nursing me for almost a week. At night, he got up every four hours to get me medicine. During the day, he put on movies for me and read to me. He’s the best, and I hadn’t gotten him anything for valentines day. So that day, I decided to pick myself up by my bootstraps. I went to walmart and got my loving hubby some last minute goodies – it was better than nothing. Then I went to work. At the moment, hubby doesn’t have a job, and I had missed so much work that I was starting to really worry about our bank account. It didn’t help that I was going through a bottle of pain pills every two days. Pain pills don’t grow on trees, you know. And while I was at it, I attended class.

This was a terrible idea.

That night, I crashed. I felt worse than ever. I was actually crying, I hurt so bad and I was so tired. I cried and cried over and over again. Then my hubby called the pharmacy to ask a few questions. He wanted me to take some advil with the pain pills, but 1.) If prescription-grade pain pills aren’t working, why would advil? And 2.) I didn’t want to throw up again. But at this point, I was so miserable that I didn’t care if I threw up. The pharmacy gave us the OK and I gave it a try.

That night, I slept through the entire night. And I could lay in any position I wanted! For the first time in days, I felt okay. I slept in as long as I could, and when I got up I took another round. This combination works pretty good for sleeping, but it’s a different story when you’re awake. The pain does go away, but I get pretty loopy. If I walk around, I get dizzy and fall down. And it kind of gives me a headache and sort of a vertigo-y feeling. Still, though, it was much better than pain. I could have just slept all day, but I’m not the kind of person to do that sort of thing. I’m pretty obsessed with being productive (although I count a lot of things as being productive…like watching futurama and playing video games… but that’s better than just being unconscious!). I’ve been trying to keep up with homework, and look, I’m even updating my blog!

I think the scariest thing about all this is that I literally haven’t eaten a real meal since last Wednesday. That’s a whole week of just not eating! But I swear, I’m never hungry. Toby makes me eat little things here and there, but if he tries to feed me more than a snack-sized portion, I get awful nausea. I do miss eating, though. Heck, I missed out on Valentines day! My mouth can’t even open wide enough to eat anything solid. Or not flat.

Luckily, I have an appointment to see the dentist tomorrow, and we’re going to kill the nerve in that tooth dead. Haha, that’ll show it! I should be good as new in 24 hours.

But you know what else tomorrow is? My birthday.

It wouldn’t be so bad if I could go to the dentist first thing in the morning, then enjoy my day (and maybe even eat!), but my appointment isn’t until 1:45. And no, it’s not because he’s too busy.

It’s because of work. I work for a production company, and tomorrow morning (at 7:30 AM!!!) I’m scheduled to do a shoot. I’m the only one who can do it. And remember how if I walk around I get dizzy and fall down? Well, imagine that, only there’s thousands of dollars of equipment involved.

I am praying that someone else can cover for me. Please, God, please! It is my birthday you know. If someone else can do it, I can go first thing in the morning and finally, FINALLY feel better.

Except for the whole chronic illness thing.

UPDATE: The best co-worker in the world is taking over the shoot tomorrow! 😀 Tomorrow, I’ll just wake up and go get well. Happy birthday to me!

One thought on “Where the Heck I’ve Been

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s